Resident Hall Handbook

2023-2024 Resident Hall Handbook




Whether this is your first year in college, your first year at Stout, you’re returning to our community, or you’re supporting your on-campus student, the University Housing Residence Hall Handbook serves as a resource for you to best understand residence hall living. You’ll find general information along with up-to date content about Procedures and Services, Room Accommodations, University Housing Code of Conduct, the Dean of Students Office and UWS, Chapter 17, and the Residence Hall Damage and Cost List. If you are browsing, please take your time to read through this useful information. However, if you are looking for something particular, you may use the search feature on this page to find the answer to your question. If you don’t find your answer here or have a more specific question, please be sure to contact your hall staff.

Updates that occur to the handbook throughout the academic year can be found online. New handbooks are published electronically with the most updated content in August prior to each academic year.






Hansen-Keith-Milnes-Chinnock (HKMC)

Mailing Address Instructions

All mail should be addressed as follows:

1215 Third Street E Menomonie, WI 54751


Your Name Rm # and Hall 1110 S Broadway St Menomonie, WI 54751

Accommodations: Kitchen & laundry in basement Capacity: 520


CODE OF CONDUCT Philosophy & Goals Rights & Responsibilities


Navigation Address: The following addresses are for navigation use only.




Overview of Conduct Process Step-By-Step Conduct Process Appeals Process The Clery Act FERPA


GENERAL INFORMATION People To Know What To Bring What Not To Bring Housing Contract Exemption/Release Process ROOM ACCOMMODATIONS Air Conditioners Cable TV Computer Connections & Printers Move-in, Check In, & Check Out Room Change



North Hall

Antrim-Froggatt-McCalmont (AFM)



124 Tenth Avenue E Menomonie, WI 54751

1015 Third Street E Menomonie, WI 54751 Accommodations: McCalmont: Elevator, kitchen on every floor, laundry in basement Antrim-Froggatt: kitchen & laundry in basement Capacity: 420 MORE INFORMATION


Dean of Students UWS Chapter 17

08 09


Accommodations: Elevators, kitchen & laundry on every floor Capacity: 350

RESIDENCE HALL POLICIES Administrative Contract Alcohol Assisting in a Policy Violation Business Enterprise Disorderly Conduct/Inappropriate Behavior Drugs/Controlled Substances Equipment Failure to Comply Fire Safety Gambling Guests




Red Cedar Hall

Curran-Kranzusch-Tustison-Oetting (CKTO)

Room Furnishings Room Temperature Single Rooms Without a Roommate


201 Second Street W Menomonie, WI 54751

1105 Third Street E Menomonie, WI 54751




Accommodations: Elevators, kitchen & laundry on every floor Capacity: 420

Accommodations: Elevator, kitchen & laundry in basement Capacity: 500


PROCEDURES & SERVICES Abandoned Personal Property Bed Bugs Building Access & Security Communication Ceremonial Smudging & Religious Burning Front Desk Recycling, Compost, & Trash


Housekeeping Identification Implied Consent Keys & Locks Painting Pets Posting of Signs Quiet & Courtesy Hours Restroom Facilities Safety Screens & Windows Theft Trespassing Unauthorized Entry Vandalism/Damage to Property Weapons

South Hall

Fleming-Hovlid (FH)



220 Second Street W Menomonie, WI 54751


115 Thirteenth Avenue E Menomonie, WI 54751


Accommodations: Elevators, kitchen on every floor, laundry in basement Capacity: 340

Accommodations: Elevator, kitchen & laundry in basement Capacity: 350


Grievance Process Hall Damage Fees Keys Kitchen & Lounges Laundry Mail & Packages Maintenance Requests Missing Students Recycling, Compost, & Trash Service & Emotional Support Animals Solicitation



Wigen Hall

Jeter-Tainter-Callahan (JTC)

106 First Avenue W Menomonie, WI 54751

200 Broadway Street S Menomonie, WI 54751



Accommodations: Kitchen on every floor, laundry in basement Capacity: 220

Accommodations: Kitchen on every floor, laundry in basement Capacity: 280








Operations Manager/Coordinator These undergraduate and graduate staff mem bers support the many building operations of your residence hall including supervising the Front Desk Assistants. Maintenance Staff The maintenance mechanics repair things that are broken in the hall and do preventative main tenance to keep our building systems from breaking down. You may submit a maintenance request on the Housing Gateway to get some thing fixed in your room or residence hall. Community Service Officer (CSO) These staff members are employed by the University Police and work in conjunction with the RAs and hall staff to monitor the building when hall staff are not on duty. Additional Staff Members University Housing also has central office staff, technology staff, and other personnel who work to create a positive residence hall experience. These individuals work in various locations, including the Housing Office in 170 Price Commons.


Your room is your home! We encourage you to bring items with you that will make it just that. You’ll definitely want to bring: • Extra-long twin sheets • Towels and bathroom supplies • Cleaning supplies • Plates, bowls and eating utensils (some of these items, among others, are also available at the front desk). We also suggest you bring: • TV • Couch or futon (think about if it will fit up the stairs) • Small rug • Room decorations (i.e. pictures, posters, plants) • Additional lighting • Storage items Futons & couches need to be less than 80 inches long to fit under your lofted bed. An adjustable loft and micro-fridge are already in the room. Plus, the floor is carpeted from wall-to-wall. We want you to make your residence hall room as comfortable as possible. However, for safety reasons, there are a few things you should leave at home, such as: • Non-religious candles and incense • Pets (other than fish, see Pets policy), • Weapons (including concealed fire arms) • Explosives • Illicit drug paraphernalia • Pools • Cooking items with exposed elements • Alcohol and/or empty containers are against policy if you are under 21 WHAT NOT TO BRING


Resident Advisors (RA) As a fellow student, your RA is your go-to-per son for all concerns on your floor. Whether you want to get more involved, are in the middle of a roommate conflict, have a program idea, or are simply wanting a person to connect to, your RA is ready to assist you with any problem, concern, or idea you have! Academic Resource Coordinators (ARC) Every hall has at least one ARC to provide you with resources to be academically prepared. They connect residents with the writing center and math tutors, provide study nights, and offer self-assessments to help you learn more about how you best study. Hall Managers (HM) These student staff members live in your res idence hall and assist the RLCs in supervising the hall staff. They are great resources for you to contact with questions about the campus and residence hall, roommate concerns, or other questions. Student Leadership Assistants (SLA) The SLAs are trained to design events for on-campus residents and provide leadership development opportunities. They coordinate the Care Package program, support the Hall Leadership Committees, and allocate funds for in-hall programming efforts.

Residence Life Coordinators (RLC) and/or Hall Coordinators (HC) These live-in professionals supervise the student staff within their building complex. They are here to assist in your transition to college providing academic, social, wellness, and personal devel opment support. In some of our halls we have graduate student Hall Coordinators who perform many of the same functions. Hall Leadership Committee (HLC) These student-volunteers live in your residence hall and plan events for other residents to enjoy. HLCs collaborate with RAs, SLAs, and residents to create events that enhance your living experience. This is a great way to get involved on campus! Any resident may join the HLC or attend meetings - talk to your RA about this opportunity. Desk Assistant (DA) Desk assistants are hired as our customer service staff and work at the front desk of your residence hall. They check out equipment from the front desk, provide information, and answer questions. This is a great first-year student employment opportunity, apply on the Housing Gateway! Hall Custodian Each hall has at least one custodian working Monday through Friday to help keep the building clean. Although this team will maintain the basic cleanliness of the building, your assistance is needed to help keep your hall looking great!






Exemption/Release Request Process Students requesting an exemption to the live-on policy for extenuating circumstances should meet with their RLC, then submit an Exemption/ Release Request on the Housing Gateway.



Students will sign a housing contract every year they live on campus. It is important that you read the contract terms prior to signing the contract. Once a contract is signed it cannot be canceled unless a student is no longer attending UW-Stout or has a study abroad, internship, or student teaching experience for the full academic year that is at least a 40-mile driving distance from campus. Room selection times are based on contract signing dates (and for incoming stu dents date of pre-payment). The earlier a student signs a contract the earlier they will get to select a room and the more room options that will be available to them. Two-Year Live-on Requirement Those first-year students and sophomore stu dents (59 credits or less) who are not veterans, married or living with parents or legal guardian (within a 40-mile driving distance of campus) shall be required to live in a university-operated residence hall when such accommodations are available. Commuter Request Process In order to commute you must live with your parents or legal guardian within a 40-mile driv ing distance of campus. To request commuter status, go to the Housing Gateway and complete a commuter form. If you have already signed a contract for the time frame you are requesting, you are not eligible to submit a commuter request form.

Students required by Board of Regents to live on campus without a signed contract and wish to be exempt from this requirement because of extenuating circumstances.



THE POLICY Those freshman and sophomore students

(59 credits or less) who are not veterans, married or living with parents or legal guardian (within a 40-mile driving distance from campus) shall be required to live in a university-operated residence hall when such accommodations are available.


Students with a signed contract who wish to be released from this contract because of extenuating circumstances that have happened since the date of signed contract.


DON’T FALL UNDER THESE CATEGORIES? Sign up on the space release waiting list. If we can cancel contracts because of space, we will offer to those on this list. The waiting list for the upcoming academic year becomes available March 1 .

Do NOT sign a lease for off-campus housing. There is no guarantee that a space release will be available.


Meet with your RLC to go over the process and provide you access to the exemption request form. If you are an incoming student call the Housing Office.


HOW LONG DOES THE PROCESS TAKE? Timeline varies depending on the time of year. CAN I APPEAL? Yes, you can appeal to a board that meets monthly. The board will only review information that you provided in your original request. You can appeal decisions up to two weeks after your decision being sent. If there is significant change in your situation or you wish to provide further information or documentation you may submit a new exemption/release request.


Submit your request* and documentation through the Housing Gateway.

*If your request includes medical or disability related reasons, you will need to provide your medical documentation to Disability Services and meet with a Disability Service Staff person. Housing Staff consults with Disability Services to determine if students needs can be met living on campus based on ADA standards (Americans with Disability Act).


Receive official outcome of your request via your UW-Stout email.






duplex printing is free of charge, single sided and color printing is available for a small fee via your student ID card.

All residence halls have televisions located in lounges and basement spaces with cable TV availability. Additionally, each individual room has a cable connection. Just bring your own TV and a coax cord and perform a channel scan to receive about 150 channels from Charter Communications. For assistance, contact the Technology Help Desk (715-232-5000).


AIR CONDITIONERS Students living in all halls except Red Cedar, McCalmont, and North Hall, which are already temperature controlled, are permitted to bring their own air conditioners that meet the guide lines below. There will be a $100 charge per academic year for the use of own air condition ers to cover the utility costs and staff time to inspect installation. All guidelines below must be followed and are based on energy conservation and safety. Type of Unit • Portable floor unit with duct and window covering. Window units are not allowed for safety reasons. • Must be an evaporative unit (unit where water that is collected is exhausted through the window duct). • Maximum BTUs: 8000 ASHRAE (see product specifications and be prepared to show this documentation upon inspection) Installation • Students must apply for an Air Conditioner unit in the Housing Gateway and be approved prior to installation. • Only one unit per room may be installed. • After approval, students may plug-in and place exhaust in the window.

plexiglass can be purchased at most home improvement or hardware stores. •Window inserts must stay in place only by closing the window and using tape provided by the University. • Students cannot use their own tape or attach the window insert with screws, nails, etc. • See table below for the approximate window opening dimensions for window insert • Screens are left in the window. • Staff will inspect the installation and request residents to make corrections as necessary. • Any installation done without approval or failure to make corrections to installation may result in charges and removal of the unit. • The student approved for the unit will be responsible for any damages caused by the unit. • Air conditioner units are not permitted in Red Cedar, McCalmont, and North Hall.


Move-In All move-in instructions for students are commu nicated to them via their UW-Stout email. Check-In When changing rooms throughout the academic year, residents check-in to their new room by going to the front desk. Here you will get your new keys and can begin the move. Be sure to complete your new room inspection form in the Housing Gateway immediately. Once everything is out of your old room, check-out at the front desk of that hall. Check-Out Whenever a resident checks out of their room, the room should be left in the condition in which it was found. This means that all personal belongings are removed, furnishings returned to their original locations, and room is cleaned. Room set-ups may be found on your residence hall webpage, linked on the Hall Information page of the handbook. Once this has been com pleted, go to the front desk to check-out. Desk staff will go with you to inspect the room. Failure to follow the process will result in an improper check-out fee, in addition to being assessed for any damages. Residents will be charged for any damages to walls, ceiling, carpet, furniture, and missing items that are found by hall staff, includ ing student staff and custodial staff.


COMPUTER CONNECTIONS & PRINTERS Each residence hall room is equipped with 1 or 2 high-speed Ethernet ports. Students can use an Ethernet cable to connect to the jack, or connect wirelessly. Both internet connections provide 100 Mbps of connection to the network. Students using wireless should use the Eduroam network. Eduroam provides users with encrypted, secure, high-speed internet access for laptops and other personal devices. StoutNonSecure can be used if your device is unable to connect to Eduroam. StoutNonSecure is a non-broadcasted and unsecured network. The first login will require users to enter the wireless network name, which is ‘StoutNonSecure’. StoutGuest network is intended for university guests. It is an unsecured network with limited data rates and allows only http and https protocols. It also requires users to re-authenti cate every 4 hours. This network is not intended for use by faculty, staff, or students. All halls have printing stations located at the front desk of the building. Printers and paper are provided for use by residents, black and white

Approximate Window Opening

Residence Hall Antrim & Froggatt CKTO & HKMC Fleming & Hovlid Jeter & Callahan

Height 39.5 inches 41.75 inches 40.5 inches 46 inches 34.25 inches 38.5 inches 32 inches 38.25 inches

• Students must have hard plastic or plexiglass insert in the window to help with energy conservation. Plexiglass or hard plastic often comes with units. If it is not included with the unit or the provided insert is not large enough,

North Hall South Hall

Tainter Wigen

All window widths are adjustable





Withdrawal Policy Students withdrawing from the University must initiate the withdrawal process at the Registration and Records Office (109 Bowman Hall). There will be a $25 per day charge for unauthorized occupation of a room. For all check-out information, watch your email for information about the process. Note: Students withdrawing from the University should update their mailing address by logging onto Access Stout, clicking on ‘Self Service’ and then ‘Student Center’. Options for Withdrawing in the Fall Semester after Fall Break 1) Remain on campus and keep your belongings in your room. • You must be registered for spring courses to utilize this option. If you have an extenu ating circumstance as to why you are not able to register, please contact us. • This option will not adjust your fall billing You will be billed for the remainder of the fall semester and we will hold your $125 prepayment. • If you are involved in any conduct or disci plinary-related incidents while on campus during this time, you may be required to leave campus and return in the spring semester. 2) Leave campus, keep your belongings in your room, and return in the spring. • You must be registered for spring courses to utilize this option. If you have an extenu ating circumstance as to why you are not able to register, please contact us. • This option will not adjust your fall billing. You will be billed for the remainder of the fall semester and we will hold your $125 prepayment. • If you are involved in the Room Change At

SINGLE ROOMS A limited number of single rooms are

ROOM FURNISHINGS All university-owned furnishings must stay in student rooms. This includes even those rooms occupied as singles. Any furnishings affixed to the wall cannot be removed. This includes mirrors, bulletin boards, closets and/ or closet curtains, desks, bookshelves, smoke detectors, and electrical fixtures. Windows and screens must always remain in place. Public lounge furniture is NOT permitted in student rooms. University Housing provides refrigerators, microwaves and lofts for all student rooms. While your bed is lofted, the distance from the top of the mattress to the ceiling must be at least 25”. When arranging the room furni ture, students must maintain a 30” (width) x 72” (height) path of egress from the door to the window. ROOM TEMPERATURE To regulate the room temperature, open and close the damper on the room radiator. For energy efficiency, please close the windows in the winter. The placement of furniture and other belongings in front of the heating unit also prevents the circulation of air that is needed for the unit to function properly. Review the Room Comfort website for more information.

Semester process, you will still be expected to coordinate your room change during finals week. 3) Leave campus and fully move out of your room. • This option will adjust your room. You will be issued a prorated refund for your fall semester room and board fees once you have checked out. Note: if you leave during finals week, no adjustment will be made to your bill. • You will need to remove all the belongings from your room, return it to how you moved in at the beginning of the semester, and officially check out with hall staff. • We will hold your room and $125 prepay ment for the spring semester. ROOM CHANGE Students may request a room change through out the semester by logging onto the Housing Gateway. However, during the first three weeks of each semester and during any University Housing sanctioned room freeze, room switches are not permitted. Additionally, students will have the ability to make room changes for spring semester in early December, when University Housing offers a Room Switch Night. Students will receive infor mation via email about this process or can ask a Housing staff member. If a room change is made at any time, see the ‘Move-In, Check-In, and Check-Out’ section in this handbook to learn more about the move and watch your email for more information. • You may return to your room on the Thursday prior to classes beginning.

available on campus. Students are offered completely open single rooms based on availability and the following priority ranking: 1. Current upper-level residents 2. Current residents who are second-year students 3. Current residents who are first-year students 4. Transfer students Students whose roommate moves out may be offered the opportunity to purchase their room as a single. This depends upon occu pancy numbers when the vacancy occurs. WITHOUT A ROOMMATE Students who find themselves without a roommate during the academic year will receive an email from University Housing informing them that their roommate is leav ing and information on several options on how to move forward. These options may include: 1. Paying for a single room 2. Moving to a room with someone else who also has a vacancy 3. Agreeing to allow Housing to assign a new roommate. If there are two or more open spaces in a community, students will be consolidated into one space. More detailed information can be provided by your Residence Life Coordinator. 5. Off-campus students 6. New first-year students


In Red Cedar Hall, thermostats are provided in the suite to regulate the entire suite and yearly inspections are done on heating units. If there is a problem with heat or cooling tem perature control in Red Cedar, McCalmont, or North Hall, report it on a maintenance request found in the Housing Gateway.





COMMUNICATION University Housing will communicate with resi dents via their official University e-mail account. It is the responsibility of the student to check their e-mail account regularly, as important infor mation is communicated (i.e. contract informa tion, housing updates, conduct information, and package arrival).

participating in these ceremonies have the right to a peaceful session and may not be disturbed unless welcomed to do so. Students with the right to practice ceremonial smudging in a residence hall are not required but are asked to inform the Residence Life Coordinator prior to their first practice. This is not for approval or denial of the practice but to ensure open communication and understanding of the specific student’s needs. Students with out the federally protected right to Ceremonial Smudging may also burn for religious reasons. However, they must request to do so from University Housing. Additionally, whereas on-campus residents live in densely populated communities and non-prac ticing persons have a right to smoke-free air, courtesies are requested, including: • Proper ventilation, such as closing doors to the hallway or common areas, utilizing open windows or fans, and avoiding setting off smoke detectors (tampering with or covering smoke detectors is not allowed); • Knowing the location of the nearest fire extinguisher and fire pull station; • Following traditional cultural practices which includes a safe environment for containing embers and ashes; • Extinguishing embers/ashes appropriately;

ABANDONED PERSONAL PROPERTY Students are responsible for the removal of all personal belongings when they check-out of their room. University Housing reserves the right, without assuming any liability, to dispose of all personal property considered to be abandoned. Students have 30 days to claim their abandoned property. Abandoned property will be boxed up and stored as needed. The student who has abandoned the property will be notified via their Stout e-mail account and via letter to their home address of the date by which their items will be disposed of accordingly. BED BUGS University Housing hires a team of profession als to do a complete search of all residence hall rooms every year to verify that we have no bed bugs in our buildings. If you suspect that you or someone you know has brought bed bugs into the residence halls, please contact your RA or Residence Life Coordinator immediately and submit a Maintenance Request through the Housing Gateway. BUILDING ACCESS & SECURITY The residence halls are closed to the public 24-hours a day, except during move-in and move-out periods when the buildings may be unlocked during the day to ease the process. All other times, residents of the hall will need to use their Stout Blue Card to access their build ing. Students should not let unknown people in the door behind them and should always meet guests at exterior doors to escort them in the building. Do not prop open any outside doors; doing so endangers the security of all residents.

If you suspect there is an unauthorized or suspi cious person in the hall, contact University Police. Residents are also encouraged to lock room doors and carry renter’s insurance. While the University is not responsible for personal pos sessions that are lost, stolen or damaged, we will investigate any cases of theft.

Follow us on Instagram @StoutHousing for help ful reminders and information.

FRONT DESK Each residence hall front desk provides students and guests with services including distributing hall and campus information, equipment, access to specialty rooms, cleaning supplies (vacuums, garbage bags, etc.), loan key check-out, room check-in and check-out, packages, and reserva tions. For a list of standard desk inventory, view the Resources on the Housing Gateway.

To report any unauthorized or suspicious person or theft, contact University Police, (715) 232-2222.

CEREMONIAL SMUDGING & RELIGIOUS BURNING University Housing recognizes the American Indian Religious Freedom Act of 1978, and therefore acknowledges that smudging and the non-recreational use of ceremonial tobacco and other medicines are a part of the traditions, celebrations, well-being, and spiritual practices for many Indigenous peoples. The use of these medicines in the residence halls is the right of Indigenous peoples, including but not limited to citizens of recognized and unrecognized sover eign tribal communities, First Nations peoples, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders. Ceremonial smudging involves the burning of one or more sacred medicines, which may include tobacco, cedar, sage, sweetgrass and other sacred medicines. Smudging is a ceremony for purifying or cleansing the soul of negative thoughts of a person or place. Prayers, spoken aloud or in silence, are part of the ceremony. The smoke from the burning and smoldering of these sacred medicines is considered a purifying agent for the mind, body, and spirit. Students

Front Desk Hours of Operation: Sunday–Thursday

10:00 am–10:00 pm 10:00 am–midnight




GRIEVANCE PROCESS If you feel a Housing staff member has used their position to pressure, coerce, or inappropriately influence others to attend or participate in a meeting or has otherwise acted inappropriately, please see your Residence Life Coordinator or contact the supervisor of the person whom you feel acted inappropriately. HALL DAMAGE FEES A list of hall damage fees can be found in the ‘Residence Hall Damage List’ section of this handbook. Any time a resident checks-out of their room, building staff will inspect the room for cleanliness and damages. It is important that

• Communication with roommate(s); • Communication with Residence Life Coordinator.

These guidelines are in place within the res idence halls for the student’s personal living space. Outside of residential buildings, students must follow UW-Stout, UW System, and State of Wisconsin guidelines.





MAINTENANCE REQUESTS For routine maintenance, log on to the Housing Gateway and click on ‘Maintenance Request’. Emergency maintenance items should be reported to the front desk or an RA. Students may request maintenance for problems in their room or in public areas. If you submit a main tenance request, be sure to have the area that needs attention cleared and ready for staff to complete maintenance. A request for mainte nance indicates permission for a maintenance staff member to enter a student’s room, however, Housing staff will always knock before entering. MISSING STUDENTS If you believe that a student is missing, contact the police directly or submit a ‘Missing Student Notification’ form by navigating to ‘Policies and Procedures’ and clicking on ‘Safety’ on the University Housing website. Students complet ing this form should submit it to their Resident Advisor or Residence Life Coordinator who will then contact University Police and the Dean of Students Office. University Housing will notify authorities when residence hall students have been deemed missing. Those notified include University Police for all individuals, and either the parent/guardian for residents under the age of 18, OR the emer gency contact of students who are over the age of 18. Emergency contact information will be obtained from the information residents provide to the university. RECYCLING, COMPOST, & TRASH Each student room is furnished with a recycling bin and a garbage bin. Students are responsi SUBMIT WORK ORDER

ble for taking their garbage to the dumpsters located outside their residence hall.

students fill out their room condition report at the beginning of the year so any damages that were there at move-in, are not charged to the current resident. KEYS A room key is provided to residents upon check-in. If a student believes they have lost their keys, they can check-out a loan set from the front desk. If your key is not returned within seven (7) days,a key replacement will be auto matically initiated and you will be charged the replacement fee. KITCHENS & LOUNGES Each residence hall has a kitchen available for student use in the basement. Red Cedar, Fleming-Hovlid, McCalmont, Wigen, and North Hall have kitchens in each floor lounge. You are responsible for the safety and cleaning of the area during use as it is a communal space. Food may be stored in the refrigerator, but the University assumes no liability for spoilage and theft. Periodically, the refrigerators are cleaned with notice; any unclaimed food and containers will be disposed of. Lounge spaces are also located through each hall, on floors and in basements for studying and socializing. Furniture may not be removed from lounge spaces. Be respectful of others when using the space. LAUNDRY Each residence hall has a laundry room equipped with washers and dryers that must be paid for by a student’s Stout Blue Card. Students must provide their own detergent, dryer sheets, etc. Washers and dryers cost $1.00 for each cycle. Do not leave your laundry unattended as the University assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen items. Please be respectful of others’ laun dry and allow residents a reasonable amount

of time to retrieve their items after their load is done.

Recycling and composting centers are found on each residence hall floor. Recyclable items should be free from contaminates such as food, drink, and other debris. Glass, plastic (#1-7), cans, and paper do not need to be sorted. Compostable items include food waste, dining service “to-go” containers/cups/dinnerware (not resuable green containers), paper towels, nap kins, and greasy pizza boxes.


Note: Washers are front-loading. We recommend using “HE” (high efficiency) detergent in campus washers. MAIL AND PACKAGES While classes are in session, students will receive packages to their residence hall front desk. Oversized packages may be picked up at the Housing Office in 170 Price Commons. Mail for residents living on Main Campus is distributed at the Price Commons while North Campus resi dents receive their mail at their residence hall front desk. Students will be sent an email from the univer sity when their package is ready to be picked up. Carrier delivery emails indicate the university has received your package but it is not yet at your front desk. Student will need to present their Stout Blue Card to receive their packages. Mass mailings are limited to essential information from the University. Mass campus mailings will be processed for a fee—contact University Housing at 715-232-1121 or for more information. Students leaving the residence halls can update their mailing address by logging into Access Stout, clicking on ‘Self Service’, then on ‘Student Center’ to have their mail forwarded to a differ ent address. Mailings that are not University business must be processed through regular mail services with paid postage.


SERVICE & EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS With appropriate approvals, service and emo tional support animals are permitted in University Housing. Students wishing to have an animal on-campus should contact Disability Services to obtain the necessary paperwork to begin the animal request process.


SOLICITATION Door-to-door solicitation is not permitted in the residence halls. Solicitation is defined as selling, peddling, distributing, and/or collect ing materials or information, free or otherwise. Organizations may request permission to set up a table in the main lobby of the residence halls. Requests should be directed to the Residence Life Coordinator of the hall. Organizations must be recognized by University Housing or the Stout Student Association (SSA).






RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES Students are guaranteed certain rights and are expected to take ownership in their responsibil ity within the conduct process. Student Rights • To be notified of the charges within 7 working days of being identified as part of an incident • The opportunity to attend a fair and prompt hearing at which you may share your perspective of the incident • To be notified promptly of the hearing results • To be advised of the appeal process Students Responsibilities • To be respectful during the conduct process • To provide accurate, truthful, and appropri ate information regarding the incident at every level of the conduct process OVERVIEW OF CONDUCT PROCESS When a resident violates a policy, an incident report is filed and provided to the RLC of the building in which the resident lives. Any student, faculty, or staff member can file an incident report. The RLC will review the incident report to determine if there are grounds for a hearing and by whom the case should be heard. Cases will be heard in the resident’s hall by their RLC or depending on the severity of the case, it may be heard instead by the Dean of Students (i.e. some cases under Chapter 17 of the UW-System policy - see the ‘Dean of Students’ section under ‘Code of Conduct’ in this handbook).

1 Documentation or “Write Up” If you are involved in a situation that is doc umented, a staff member will write a report that identifies all individuals in the situation, a timeline and description of events. Being doc umented doesn’t necessarily mean you have violated policy. Your meeting with the Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) will determine respon sibility. An RLC reviews the report, identifies policies potentially violated and contacts you via email to request a meeting: • In minor policy violations, you may receive a warning and not be required to meet with a Residence Life Coordinator. • In more serious cases, you may be asked to meet with an Assistant Director of Housing or a Dean of Students staff member.

PHILOSOPHY & GOALS University Housing’s expectation is that individ ual students, floor communities, residence hall communities and University Housing staff share responsibility for ensuring that our residence halls are safe, secure, and healthy living and learning environments that meet student needs. As in every community, University Housing has specific rules and regulations, as well as general guidelines of good citizenship and responsible behavior, such as: • Facilitate an environment conducive to living and learning • Allow students to learn from each other about how their behavior affects others • Protect the rights of all students • Hold students accountable for their actions and the actions of their guest(s) • Provide students and staff members with a uniform conduct process When students’ behaviors are illegal, jeopardize the rights of others, or violate the University Housing Code of Conduct they will be held accountable through the conduct system. By signing the University Housing & Dining Service Contract, a student agrees to abide by University Housing policies. Based on students’ dual citizenship in the campus community and in the city/county/ state communities, disciplinary processes may run simultaneously with sanctions occurring as part of both the city/county/state courts and the University conduct system (either through the Dean of Students office or University Housing).

University Housing recognizes that students and their home communities have different experi ences with police and law enforcement and we want to share what to expect when interacting with University Police within the residence halls. University Housing works with University Police for any violations of state or federal law and part ners with the police for educational programming and community policing efforts. If you have any questions or concerns about what to expect with University Police and living in the residence halls, contact your Coordinator or RA.






2 Meeting with the Residence Life Coordinator

3 Conduct Sanctions If found responsible, common sanctions you might be assigned include: reflective and/or research papers, involvement or service hours, online computer education modules, written apologies, University Housing probation, parent letter notification, or creating educational bulletin boards, bathroom readers or brochures for peers. Sanctions have a due date that should be met. If you feel you need more time to complete the issued sanctions, please contact your RLC to discuss a possible new due date. If you fail to complete sanctions, it could result in a hold being placed on your University Account which can stop you from being able to perform essential university activity such as: registering for classes, studying abroad or requesting an official transcript.

4 Future Documentations The more conduct violations you are found responsible for, the more severe and involved your sanctions will likely be. In some situations a first incident may be so severe that the sanc tions listed below could be imposed: • Relocation to another residence hall • Termination of a student’s housing and/or dining contract • Suspension from the University You may be immediately removed from the res idence hall for behavior that may jeopardize the health or safety of other community members. Some examples of this behavior may include:

APPEALS PROCESS For cases heard within University Housing, resi dents may submit an appeal within five (5) calen dar days from the date of the decision. Residents must submit the online appeal form and must appeal for one of the following reasons: 1. Severity of the sanction 2. Introduction of new evidence not present at the initial hearing 3. Lack of procedural due process (your stu- dent rights were not honored) Appeals in University Housing and Dean of Students will be handled within their respective departments. In University Housing, appeals are handled by an Assistant Director. Once an appeal has been received, the Assistant Director will invite the resident to meet. If the resident choose to not meet with the Assistant Director, the appeal will not be acted upon and the sanction will remain unchanged until the meeting occurs. Once a resident has met with the Assistant Director, a final decision letter will be sent to the resident via university email generally within ten (10) calendar days. Appeals made based on severity of the sanction are a review of the disciplinary action and not a rehearing of the case. Appeals made based on introduction of new evidence or lack of proce dural due process are a rehearing of the case based on new pertinent information.

This meeting is your chance to impact the out come of the hearing by sharing your perspec tive of what happened. It also gives the RLC the chance to get to know you better, ask questions, and assess your level of responsibility in the situation. If you choose to not participate in this meeting you lose the opportunity to have your story heard. Based off the information shared in the meeting the RLC will determine if you are responsible or not responsible for violating any policies. Not Responsible: If you are found not respon- sible the case is closed and you don’t have to do anything further to resolve the situation. Responsible: If you are found responsible for violating policy you will be assigned sanctions or educational consequences that will need to be completed. Our goal is for you to repair your relationship with the community and University Housing. Warning: If you receive a warning for a policy it means that the RLC wants you to be more aware of your behaviors as it relates to that specific policy in the future. Multiple warnings will not be given for the same policy violation.

• Physical Assault • Sexual Assault • Drugs • Fire Safety Violations including possession of fireworks • Weapons






FERPA The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, provides for the confidentiality of student records and information for students 18 years and older. To stay compliant with this federal regulation, if a student chooses to have confidential information released to another party, they would be required to sign a release of information form (ask your Coordinator for more information). The student can specify that certain information not be released regarding a situation. FERPA allows the university to notify parents or guardians when a student is found respon sible for an alcohol violation without violating their rights. Students will most often have the opportunity to discuss conduct situations with their parents prior to such notifications. In 1998, FERPA was amended to allow such disclosures. The amendment outlined two guidelines we must follow in order to release this information with out being in violation of FERPA: • We must determine that the student has committed a disciplinary violation with respect to that use or possession. • The student must be under the age of 21 at the time of the disclosure to the parent.

DEAN OF STUDENTS The Dean of Students Office monitors all con duct cases on and off campus and provides support and consultation to the University Housing conduct process. Severe conduct cases may be referred to the Dean of Students Office for adjudication under the University of Wisconsin-System Administrative Code, Chapter 17. Examples of cases adjudicated under UWS Chapter 17 include but aren’t limited to: • Dangerous Conduct • Domestic Abuse • Harassment • Hazing • Misuse of Computing Resources • Physical Assault • Sexual Assault • Sexual Harassment • Stalking • Violations of Criminal Law • Serious or repeated alcohol or controlled substance violations • Violation of University Rules (including University Housing policies)

UWS CHAPTER 17 Professional staff from the Dean of Students Office and University Housing, who are trained conduct officers, will investigate and adjudicate conduct cases under UWS Chapter 17 that origi nate both on and off campus. The investigator will send you an offer to dis cuss the matter before deciding that misconduct occurred or imposing sanctions. The purpose of this meeting is to review with you the report that you engaged in misconduct and to allow you an opportunity to respond. You may choose not to participate in such a meeting, but the investigator will make a deci sion based on the available evidence if you choose not to discuss the matter. If the investigator concludes that you did violate UWS Chapter 17, and if you disagree with the finding of responsibility and/or sanction imposed, you always have the right to an appeal hearing.

THE CLERY ACT The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, codi fied at 20 USC 1092 (f) as a part of the Higher Education Act of 1965, is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose cer tain timely and annual information about campus crime and security policies. All public and private institutions of postsecondary education partici pating in federal student aid programs are subject to it. Wisconsin Statutes require the provision of specific crime statistic information including specific information about sexual assault and sexual harassment issues. Additionally, informa tion about alcohol, drug, and weapons incidents are also included in the Clery Report. In passing these laws, the Federal government and the State of Wisconsin have made a commitment to enhance safety by requiring the University to provide this specific information. The statistics are submitted to the University Police each year and the Clery Report is published annually.











EQUIPMENT The misuse or damage of any equipment belong ing to the university, including desk equipment, common area equipment, wireless access points, and furniture is not permitted. Cameras may not be tampered with and preventing recording of university-owned cameras is not permitted. Antennas may not be installed on windows, win dow frames, or the exterior of the residence hall. Air conditioners are permitted only with approval from University Housing in non-air conditioned buildings. Waterbeds are not permitted. respond to all reasonable directives, written or verbal, from staff members and University offi cials. No person may knowingly resist, interfere or obstruct a University Police Officer or other University employee while that officer/employee is acting in an official capacity. This includes but is not limited to giving false information/state ments, filing a false report, or placing physical evidence with intent to mislead. FAILURE TO COMPLY Students and their guests are expected to Appliance restrictions exist for reasons of fire safety, limited electrical capacity, the risk of leaving items unattended, energy conservation, and to minimize bug, rodent, and other health and safety problems. A general guideline is that any appliance is prohibited to be used in your residence hall room is rated over six amps (700 watts), has an exposed heating element, may cause a ventilation or air quality problem, does not have an auto- matic shutoff, or is not UL (Underwriters Laboratory) listed. FIRE SAFETY Appliances

Approved cooking appliances are to be used in the kitchen areas only where there is proper ventilation and fire safety precautions. Examples of approved appliances include George Foreman grills, pressure cookers, and air/deep fryers. Electronic appliances should be charged with their intended charging cords on hard, flat surfaces. University Housing reserves the right to remove any unauthorized or dangerous elec- trical appliances. Decorations Students may not cover more than fifty per- cent of the hallway side of their room doors with decorations. Decorations should not pro- trude from the door. Electrical Only UL approved electrical power strips with an on/off switch, 3 prong plug-in or exten- sion cords six feet in length or less with triple ground plug-ins are permitted. Tampering with or altering any electrical outlet or light switch is prohibited. Entrance & egress Students may not physically block or restrict entrance or exit to any residence halls. Within their room, students must maintain a 30” (width) x 72” (height) path of egress from the door to the window. Evacuations With the exception of pre-planned fire alarm testing, students must leave the residence hall any time the fire alarm sounds and remain at least 150 feet from the building until the all clear is given by authorities to re-enter the building.

ADMINISTRATIVE CONTRACT Students are expected to follow all signed con tracts relative to their status as a student and/or resident at UW-Stout included but not limited to: technology, housing, billing, admissions, etc. Containers Empty containers of alcohol for decoration, including containers that were originally used to hold alcohol beverages, are not permit- ted in student rooms where all residents are underage. ALCOHOL Illegal possession, use, procurement, or distribution No one under the age of 21 may possess, use, procure, sell, dispense or give away alcohol in any form to any person. No one 21 years of age or older may provide alcohol to people not of the legal drinking age. Large quantities of alco- hol (kegs, barrels, etc.) are not permitted.

containers may not be transported between rooms.

ASSISTING IN A POLICY VIOLATION Students found to be assisting in the violation of a policy, even if not participating directly, may be held responsible for violating policy regardless of their level of involvement. BUSINESS ENTERPRISE Students may run a legal business from their resi dence hall room provided that it does not break any Housing or University policy/procedures or disrupt the educational or social environment of the residence hall or cause an undue or excessive burden on university resources that include but are not limit to the internet, electricity, waste col lection, mail and package operations, etc… DISORDERLY CONDUCT/INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR Students are not permitted to disrupt the resi dence hall living environment. Students, guests, and all others are expected to be clothed or cov ered at all times when in public areas. Streaking, flashing or public sexual acts are not allowed. DRUGS/CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES Illegal possession, use, procurement, or distribution No one may possess, use, procure, sell, dispense or give-away any controlled substance and/or paraphernalia to any person. No one may use prescription drugs that are not issued to them from a medical professional. Residents under the influence of drugs will be held responsible for their actions, including lack of personal control.

Intoxication/Dangerous Conduct/ Incapacitation Students, regardless of age, under the

influence of alcohol are held responsible for their actions, including lack of personal control.

Public Areas and Distribution Alcohol consumption is permitted only in student rooms, by those individuals 21 or older. Distribution of alcohol is only permitted between those of legal drinking age. At least one resident of the room must be of legal drinking age in order for anyone of legal drink- ing age to consume alcohol. Alcohol or open



Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker